Redesigned for Mountain Stream BFS (Bait Finesse System) fishing
In response to Japan’s booming Mountain Stream Bait Finesse (BFS) trout scene, VARIVAS has redesigned their popular, high-performance, Bait Finesse PE x4 braid line specifically for fishing the challenging terrain of mountain streams with a bait casting set up.
Super Trout Advance Bait Finesse PE x4 braided line optimally balances the merits of PE braid line–strength, sensitivity, and castability–for mountain stream bait finesse (BFS) fishing; thus, alleviating the worry of line mishaps for BFS anglers.
- A new textured, stiffer, 4-strand braid, tuned for greater manageability and precise, controlled casting has replaced the silky smooth line of the prior edition.
- Mountain Stream BFS precision casting requires controlled brake thumbing on bait casting reels.
- Textured, 4-strand braid provides a better feel for easier casting and brake thumbing, compared to smooth, round, 8-strand braid. Likewise, a thicker, 4-strand braid reduces line trouble and enables easier recovery with bait casting (BFS) reels.
2. Enhanced line durability owing to VARIVAS’s NEW enviro-friendly, non-PTFE, water-repellent line coating.
- SP-V coating
3. Redesigned line color and sight marking system.
- Redesigned, hi-viz, alternating green and yellow line color, every 2 meters (instead of every 5-meters as in the earlier edition) makes line tracing and lure tracking easier.
- Added half-way line indicator mark makes it easy to know when your spool is at the half-way point.
4. Larger diameter line options with higher lb strengths replace the prior edition’s thinner, lower weight line.
Merits of PE braided line:
1. Outstanding linear strength
PE braided line has vastly stronger, linear strength compared to nylon line of the same diameter. For instance, 0.121 mm diameter, VARIVAS Bait Finesse PE x4, Gou #0.5 (9 lb strength) line boasts twice the strength of much thicker 0.165mm diameter, VARIVAS 4lb (Gou #1) nylon line.
2. Further casting with light lures
Thinner line casts light lures further with less force, allowing anglers to focus on casting accuracy, instead of on power.
A low-stretch line transmits vibration-signal much better, providing greater sensitivity when it comes to detecting fish movement and fish bite. The 5% stretch rate of PE braided line is what gives PE line incredible sensitivity compared to nylon’s typical 30% stretch.
4. Coated for durability and further casting
VARIVAS proprietary, water-repellent coating enhances line durability and encases line with an anti-friction, non-stick, film.
NOTE: Pairing a shock leader with PE braided line is essential to avoid snagging PE line on the bottom floor or other rough elements or structure.
Q #1: Which size Bait Finesse PE x4 line and leader is recommended?
A #1: VARIVAS recommends:
- Goh #0.5 (9 lb) Bait Finesse PE x4 braid — the a standard gauge-size line for narrow, mountain stream BFS fishing.
- Goh #0.6 (10 lb) — for mid-tributary and main river fishing or when targeting large fish.
- Goh #0.8 (15 lb) — for bigger fish, challenging fishing situations, or or to avoid line issues.
- For Shock Leader, we advise a 3 lb ~ 8 lb fluoro leader.
Q #2: What’s the recommended amount of line for my BFS reel?
A #2: We advise spooling baitcasting reels with 50-meters of line. Although 30-meters of line is sufficient when fishing mountain streams, 30-meters has a poor casting feel. If fishing main rivers, we advise spooling up 100-meters of line for the benefit of full casting.
Q #3: How often should I replace the line?
A #3: For optimal performance, we recommend replacing PE braided line often, as there is nothing better than the performance of brand new PE braided line
JASF Guage Size